It’s hard to think straight after a car accident. Unfortunately, on-road mishaps are not rare in Hillsville and the rest of Virginia. Thankfully, Virginia is a tort state. If the other driver was negligent and responsible for the accident, you could seek compensation for your injuries and losses. For that, it is wise to get a Hillsville personal injury lawyer on board. In this post, we are sharing 7 steps to follow right after an accident.
- Pullover and call the police. Never trust someone who asks you to do otherwise. Never drive away from the accident scene unless you have a solid reason. Also, call the local law enforcement agency without any further delay. Even when your injuries are not severe, you need to inform the police and get a copy of the police report.
- Inform 911. If someone (including you) is injured, call 911 immediately. Because the adrenaline rush is so high, you may end up underestimating the extent of your injuries. If someone is seriously injured, don’t try to move them as you may end up causing more harm.
- Take pictures. You need to take pictures and videos of your damaged vehicle, injuries, and other areas of the scene. This evidence will come in handy for your claim later. Do not delay this step. Also, note down all you can remember immediately after the accident.
- Get the key details. Talk to other drivers and witnesses to gather their contact info and names. Also, note down the insurance details of other drivers. Do not admit fault to anyone, not even to the investigating officer.
- Call a car accident lawyer. You can find numerous injury law firms in Hillsville. Check websites like Nolo and Justia for immediate help. Meet an attorney right away and discuss the scope of your case.
When it comes to car accident lawsuits, insurance is typically involved, and it is a known fact that claims adjusters have no sympathy or ethics. They will do what it takes to deny a claim. Without an attorney, you are really on your own. Don’t shy away from discussing key aspects that can impact the outcome. Also, take your time to choose an attorney. Most lawyers work on a contingency fee, and therefore, you don’t need immediate money to hire one.
Don’t take things lightly after an accident. An attorney can help protect your interests and rights and directly deal with the insurance company.