A car crash can involve a hard impact that can cause your head and neck to move violently from all directions. Such kind of movement can cause damage to your neck’s muscles, tissues, nerves, and bones. Although a lot of neck injuries are mild, others may become serious medical conditions. If sustained a serious injury in a car accident, you should consider hiring a car accident attorney Albuquerque to help you file for a car accident claim.
Common Neck Injuries Following a Crash
If you experience neck pain after a crash, you may have a serious underlying injury. Neck pain can be due to the following injuries:
- Whiplash. This soft tissue injury happens in the neck. An accident’s impact can force your head to move forcefully back and forth, which will stretch the tendons and cause a sprain. Although whiplash usually resolves on its own after a few weeks, you may develop chronic neck pain and long-term complications.
- Joint injuries. A joint injury can happen when the accident’s impact causes facet joint irritation and inflammation. These conditions will lead to stiffness and limit your range of motion.
- Disc injuries. During a car accident, your neck’s soft discs may slip out of place or rupture after your head and neck move suddenly. Once your disc is displaced, it may cause nerve compression along the spinal cord, resulting in pain, numbness, and tingling in the neck, arms, and shoulders.
- Neck fractures. This severe injury can occur when bones in your neck break. Often, serious pain and paralysis may take place with this injury. If you broke your neck after the crash, you should not be moved without getting medical assistance.
- Cuts or lacerations. As metal, glass, or other debris flay through the air during a car accident, it may scrape or cut your neck. Sometimes, deep cuts can cause damage to the ligaments and tendons in your neck.
Seeking Medical Attention
Following a car crash, you need to see a doctor right away. If you feel mild pain initially, you may have sustained a more severe injury than you thought at first. You should know that neck fractures and disc injuries may get worse when left untreated.
If you have suffered a neck injury after a car crash in Albuquerque, seek legal assistance as soon as possible, so you can start building a claim. A great attorney will ensure you get the necessary medical treatment and compensation you deserve to heal and restore your normal life.