Colouring your hair can be transformative, not just for your overall look but also for the soul. However, if you have never taken the plunge before, it can be an intimidating prospect! To beat these reservations, we recommend doing thorough research on the hues that will suit your skin tone, tips and tricks for its maintenance, and, most importantly, the level of commitment. Do you want to opt for subtle highlights or colour the entirety of your hair? Answer these questions before making a trip to your nearest salon.
To make your life a wee bit easier, we bring you an exhaustive guide on how to choose the perfect hair colour to elevate your personality. But that’s not all! We also help you with reasons why you should throw caution to the wind (or not) and jump aboard. So, keep scrolling!
Why Colour Your Hair
- Express Yourself: Picking a hair colour is more about your personal style and less about beauty trends. It gives you a unique opportunity to be creative and unabashedly yourself. Whether you opt for honey brown highlights or go all out with a striking flamingo pink all over, you do you.
- Break the Mundanity of Life: The best way to break free from the mundanity of life? A fresh hair colour! Pick a peppy hue to flip the narrative and get a fresh new perspective on the same old scenarios.
- Boost Confidence: Hair colour that melds beautifully in your volume, compliments your tone, and brings out your features can instantly boost your confidence. It can help you be more assertive in day-to-day situations.
How to Pick A Hair Colour
- Your Personality: Picking the right colour for your hair depends on your personality. For example, if you are a risk taker and want your hair to resemble fiery embers, red is the way to go. On the other hand, if you are scared of committing to being a redhead, you might gravitate towards a slightly subtle shade, like burgundy. Whatever you may choose, the idea is to omit any and all instances of regret, so pick wisely.
- Occasion: Although there are no rules for hair colouring, you must factor in the occasion. Wish to colour your hair before ‘D Day’? Stick to minimal highlighting or hues of brown, burgundy, mahogany, or chocolate (shades that suit everyone) to underline your features. You probably don’t want to risk it by going for a radical hair transformation before your wedding day.
- Skintone: Before you commit to hair color, it’s important to factor in your skin tone. If you are facing any difficulty in determining your colouring, step to a place with natural lighting and follow these steps.
How to Determine Your Skin Tone
To avoid any hair-colour faux pas, determining your skin tone is a must. Check the colour of your veins in natural light and you will arrive at any of the following conclusions.
1. If your veins look green in natural light, you have a deep-tone complexion:
Colours for Deep-Tone Complexion: You can consider chestnut and espresso browns for a jaw-dropping look. The warm undertones of these shades will beautifully enhance your face. For a fun and freewheeling approach, you can go for a bubble gum pink or sea blue, shades that are bound to make you the center of attention in every room.
2. If your veins look blue, purple, or purplish blue, you have a light complexion:
Colours for Light Complexion: You can try Ashburn, auburn, or copper tones for a fun makeover if you’re in this category. For a 360 switch-up, you can also pick the colour of 2023, platinum blonde. However, we recommend steering clear if you have pesky dark circles or pigmentation, as the light shade may make them pop further.
3. If your veins look greenish-blue, you have a neutral complexion:
Colours for Neutral Complexion: The most prevalent skin tones for the Indian population, chocolate, burgundy, and mahogany colours look great on this kind of skin tone. These hues can make your hair look tremendously glossy and polished.
How to Maintain Your Hair Colour
Maintaining colour-treated hair comes with its unique challenges, which is why we bring forth a bunch of tips and tricks for your consideration.
- Wash Your Hair Less: Wash your hair less frequently for a couple of days after the salon sesh. This allows the colour to set in and doesn’t fade away with running water or cleansing formulation.
- Switch Your Shampoo: If you have colour-treated hair, we recommend investing in a colour-protectant shampoo. This potent formulation shields the hair from aggressors, preserving the vibrancy of your colour. It does all that without compromising on thorough cleansing of the mane or scalp.
- Use a Conditioner and Serum: Want your treated hair to be glossy and flip-worthy? Invest in an infallible conditioner-serum duo. For the uninitiated, coloured hair is also more prone to damage. However, a conjunction of oils, butter, and polymers in a conditioner form can help create a barrier on the follicles, preventing brittle strands.
Consider the following guidelines to navigate the hair colouring process with care and precision:
1. Consult a Professional:
If you’re uncertain about the hair color that would best suit you or if you’re considering a drastic change, it’s advisable to consult a professional colorist. Their expertise can help you make informed decisions based on your skin tone, features, and personal style.
2. Choose Quality Products:
Opt for high-quality hair color products to minimize the risk of damage and achieve long-lasting results. Cheap or low-quality products may contain harsh chemicals that can compromise the health of your hair.
3. Safeguard Your Skin:
Create a protective barrier, like petroleum jelly or a shielding cream, along your hairline, ears, and neck to avoid the hair dye from marking your skin. This precaution helps maintain a neat and professional appearance during the coloring process.
In conclusion, navigating the world of hair color is an exciting journey, and this ultimate guide has aimed to equip you with the knowledge needed to choose the best hair color that complements and elevates your personality. Understanding your skin tone, lifestyle, and personal style preferences are key factors in making a decision that not only transforms your appearance but also boosts your confidence. Armed with the insights from this guide, you are now empowered to make a hair color choice that reflects the vibrant and unique individual you are.