Filing an injury claim in Elk Grove or anywhere in California may seem like a simple process on paper. Sadly, legal matters are often murky, and you only have a small window of two years, according to the statute of limitations, to file a lawsuit against the party responsible for your injuries. Regardless of whether it is about a medical malpractice situation, a dog bite, or a car accident, you must have an advocate to fight for your compensation. Consider contacting the Law Office of Brian P. Azemika in Elk Grove to get a case review.
One of the foremost questions that victims ask is about the worth of their claims. Here are some factors that could influence the outcome.
- Your injuries: How much did you spend on your medical care and treatment? It is possible to cover most expenses, including ambulance services, diagnostic services, and the cost of doctor’s visits and prescription drugs.
- Your ability to work after the mishap: If you sustained severe injuries that kept you out of work, your lawyer will work to recover lost income. In case your injuries are permanent, the laws in the state allow you to pursue damages related to lost earning capacity.
- The worth of property damage: In a car crash, you may have endured serious property damage, and the compensation should cover the cost of repairs or replacement, as necessary.
- Your current mental state: Depending on the circumstances, you can recover non-economic damages, such as pain and suffering, depression, and mental anguish.
- Your fault: Were you partially liable for the accident? If yes, your settlement will be adjusted accordingly. Insurance companies will rely on the pure comparative fault rule in California to determine the compensation, and if the matter ends up in court, the judge will do the same.
Get an attorney
Because there are numerous variables, it is always wise to have an attorney to ensure you don’t compromise on the settlement. Lawyers are extremely capable of negotiating with insurance adjusters, and if the settlement is nowhere close to what your damages are worth, they can also fight it out in court. Litigation is expensive but could be a great way to fight for your rights. Fortunately, it doesn’t cost a penny to hire an injury lawyer when you start the process. The attorney only gets a share of your final amount as their fee. Call a law firm now to find out more.